A Conviction Could Jeopardize Scholarships, College Applications, Employment, and Much More

Minor In Possession, Underage Drinking

College students, high school students and other minors facing charges for the possession of alcohol often think paying the fine is the easy way out. This is not a good plan. The police can charge this as a misdemeanor offense or an infraction. Paying the fine may result in much more than closing your court file.

Don’t Be Shortsighted

A conviction will mean a criminal record and loss of your driver’s license for one year. Even if you will turn 21 within that year and no matter whether or not a vehicle is involved. A conviction can have a significant impact on your future. Do you realize that your criminal record is a matter of public record-–meaning that employers, colleges or universities, and anyone else can view the record? If not handled appropriately, a conviction for Minor in Possession could jeopardize scholarships, college applications, employment, and much more.

California Underage Consumption and Possession

Under California’s Business and Professions Code, Section 25662(a), generally it is unlawful for persons under the age of 21 to possess alcohol in any public place or on a street or highway. The question of Minor In Possession frequently comes into play in defending individuals against charges for minor in possession. Many college students are caught with alcohol at parties where the police are called due to noise complaints or at public events such as concerts or at the beach by undercover plain clothes police. Attorney Jerrold Bodow has successfully defended clients against underage drinking charges in trial and helping them retain their driving privileges. We use our knowledge of the specific rules and procedures in different courts and in front of different judges to determine whether negotiating a plea or proceeding to trial is more likely to secure optimal results. Often a negotiated plea will result in a conviction for a different infraction rather than a misdemeanor charge—allowing you to keep your driver’s license and requiring you to pay only a small fine with no probation.

Keep Your License. Avoid a Criminal Record.

If you have been issued a citation for Minor In Possession/underage drinking, don’t just pay the fine. Talk with an experienced defense attorney Jerrold Bodow first. Reach us Toll-free (858) 848-5290.  Contact us by email, with the form on our contact page.